June 11, 2024

Central News

at the center of it

BREAKING: ‘Nigeria lost, not me,’ says Atiku over his Supreme Court appeal loss of the 2023 presidential election

At the Abuja briefing today, Monday October 30, 2023…

FORMER Vice-President and candidate of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) in the February 25, 2023 presidential election, Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, says the October 26, 2023 verdict of the Supreme Court, is Nigeria’s national loss, not his personally.
He acknowledges that the verdict is final, but says it leaves much to be desired. He spoke at a scheduled press briefing this Monday in Abuja.
He insists that the candidate of the All Progressives’ Congress (APC), Bola Ahmed Tinubu, is not qualified to contest the presidential poll. Tinubu is pronounced President, duely elected.
Alhaji Atiku accuses the Supreme Court and the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) of supporting illegality, identity theft, impersonation, forgery of certificates and perjury.
He reasons that when people lose confidence in the electoral process, democracy is on life support, saying the apex court failed Nigerians by affirming Tinubu as Nigeria’s president.
Atiku and his Labour Party (LP) counterpart, Peter Obi, challenged the victory of Tinubu in the last election up to the apex court.
Not satisfied with the verdict of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal (PEPT) earlier in September, Atiku and Obi approached the Supreme Court seeking the nullification of Tinubu’s election on the grounds of double nomination, alleged certificate forgery, non-transmission of results electronically, and failure to secure 25% votes in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), amongst others.
However, last Thursday, a seven-member Supreme Court panel led by Justice John Inyang Okoro threw out all the appeals by Atiku and Obi for lacking merit. The panel thereafter upheld the electoral victory of Tinubu.
.Stay with CentralNews for full text of Alhaji Atiku’s thoughts.